As a life coach I often work with clients who feel stuck. I frequently hear, “I’m in a rut.” Or, “I can’t seem to get any traction.”
Wanna Grow? Broaden Your Life!
One of the first things I ask is “what does ‘not in a rut’ look like to you?” Soon they are describing themselves as the most interesting person in the world. The follow-up question is always, “how would you create that in your life?” This is followed by a VERY pregnant pause as they realize to get unstuck means they have to get a little (a lot) uncomfortable.
Those who live life most fully are constantly learning, trying new things, putting themselves out there—getting a little uncomfortable. They are curious about people, places, and activities. They move through life with the attitude of an explorer recognizing that even perceived failures have great fun, beauty, and adventure within them. In order to grow and live richly, you have to broaden your life with experiences that are outside your normal.
“But,” you say, “I’m more like a meat, potatoes and corn life person. How can I possibly infuse adventure into my life?” Start small with these tips:
- Grab an unidentifiable (to you) piece of produce at the grocery store and try a new recipe. The internet is your friend for this one.
- Take a different route to your usual haunts—you’ll be amazed by what you see!
- Talk to strangers in line at the coffee shop. Make it your goal to learn one fun fact.
- Try a new restaurant—and be sure to take a friend.
- Invite new acquaintances for dinner.
- Ask the librarian to make a book suggestion and then actually read the book.
- Investigate a hobby you’d like to consider pursuing.
- Listen to your kids’ music for an hour.
- Schedule walk n’ talk time with different neighbors, coworkers, or friends. Or join a fitness class!
- Volunteer to do something you would not ordinarily do.
These are simple ways to step outside your comfort zone and begin making connections that will lead to the confidence and courage it takes to try even bigger things.
Now go out there and LIVE! GROW! Broaden YOUR Life!
If you find yourself “stuck” after trying some of these tips above, you may need help. We have great counselors who can help you with real issues related to depression, abuse and more. If that’s what you are facing, please do not hesitate to call us for a confidential assessment at 765.662.9971 with one of our experts.